Tuesday, May 24, 2005

IMPLOSION - The search for a unique angle(w/ VIDEO)

When you have 4, 5 or 6 different crews at the same event, covering it from every possible side of the building, on top of adjacent buildings and all looking for the same story, finding different angles can be just a wee bit tricky. The most obvious angle to a story like this is the reaction story. But I guess in a way it's all reaction, so it's really to what level each crew gathers reaction and from whom. And no matter how much you plan ahead, you never really know what exactly you are going to get.

Lenslinger and Chris Weaver

Lenslinger detailed his duty of having David Griffin all wired for sound, while holding the box that was wired to the building, while allowing his mother Griffin to push the button setting off the company's first ever blast in it's home town.

Ms Griffin had worked at the, now defunct, company whose building she was imploding, yet her time with the company pre-dates this building by almost 2 decades!

Burlington Before

I myself was after the nuts and bolts of the story. In other words, WHO, WHAT, WHERE, WHEN, WHY AND HOW for the whole event. I found some older folks who worked in the building. I found some kids poised and ready to cover their ears and strecth their eyeballs wide open in exhuberence. And I found a man who helped build the building some 33 years ago.

Lenslinger Working

And after it was all done I picked up where Stewart left off, as the matriarch of DH Griffin got her first close up look at the newly leveled building.

And then the elder David Griffin joined her, awed at the site of a "mighty fine pile of steel."

As we all worked the crowd, we all found these little angles for our individual stories. We all saw different things that appealed to our video appetites that we hoped would feed yours.

I didn't take too many pictures on my quest to find and gather the perfect nuts and bolts....but I did get to shoot a short bit of video on my handy, dandy, digital camera while my pro cam was locked down on a nice reaction shot.

So sit back, relax and watch the video. Push play on the video box below or click HERE

No comments: