Monday, February 28, 2005

TEENAGERS - Listen Up!!!

If you are a Teenager of driving age, whether you have just gotten your learner's permit or even if you have been released to roam the roads by yourself, please indulge me for a moment.

I am tired of having to go see your parents on the worst day of their lives. I am tired of the long drive down strange driveways to knock on the door of the home you've left void. I am tired of making your mom cry while she tells us that she knows you are in Heaven.

I am tired of visiting makeshift memorials by your sobbing friends at the scene of your accident. I am tired of seeing your cars totaled and slathered with blood stains. I am tired of hearing people speculate about what happened to cause this mess.

I am tired of you thinking you are invincible. I am tired of you thinking that it could never happen to you. I am tired of you not repecting the lives of your passengers.

I have covered 10 or more teenager deaths from car accidents in the past 2 years and I'm tired!

I am tired of worrying that my own children could meet this fate in about 6 years.

I am more than happy to use my TV Camera to put you on the news if you do something spectacular at your school. I am more than happy to come to your sporting event. I am more than happy to cover your greatest achievment in life.

BUT, you can bet that if I have to show up on the side of the road where you took your last breath, where your survivors shed a million tears and where your blood will permanently mark my conscious, I will be tired of saying to myself, "Why? Why another needless loss?"

Teenagers, PLEASE DRIVE CAREFULLY! PLEASE DON'T SPEED! PLEASE DON'T DRIVE BEYOND YOUR CAPABILITIES!

PLEASE STAY ALIVE.




1 comment:

Dennis Hart said...

Amen brother.

I'm currently working on an interactive CD ROM for parents and young drivers. Many states are now requiring parents to provide 50 hours of driving "seasoning" for their own teenage drivers. They need some training on how to instruct their teens in good driving habits.

However the teen brain isn't fully developed that they will still some incrediably knuckleheaded stuff until they grow up.

One thing you forgot to mention which is the biggest killer of teens, NOT WEARING THEIR SEATBELTS! Teens have the lowest rate of seatbelt useage. Not good. In fairness I don't know how I made it out of my young driving days in one piece!