Thursday, December 28, 2006

Gerald Ford
My Second President
1913-2006

As a TV Photojournalist, when The President comes to town, you can find me in one of three places; In the Motorcade, at The Event, or on the side of the road with the throng of people hoping to catch a glimse.

30 years ago, however, it was my parents and myself as a toddler hanging out on the side of the road, on a bridge overlooking the freeway, hoping to catch a glimpse. The second President of my lifetime, President Gerald Ford, was about to zoom by in the Presidential Motorcade on his way to an event in Mobile, Alabama.

I don't remember exactly which year it was - most likely 75 or 76 - but I clearly remember being there and seeing the limos, cop cars and all the people waving American Flags. I was too young to comprehend how this was different than any other parade but somehow the memory stuck with me.

No comments: